Visits

Thursday, March 1, 2018

Less Than Dignified

Had another episode last night of pseudobulbar effect. I've mentioned this before--a symptom of multiple sclerosis associated with damage to the nervous system and involving sudden, inappropriate, excessive crying or laughing.

I was writing something at the time and wanted to use the word "dignification". Suddenly, however, I was unsure of whether this was an actual word. The dignifying of something: Dignification. So, I typed the word into Google; but after hitting enter, I noted that I had typed "dognification". This is what started me off. I then noted that dognification is, actually, a word--and I was off to the races. I swear, I laughed without ceasing for at least a half hour, face red, tears running down my cheeks, ribs sore, and wondering at the same time why I was laughing ... because it wasn't that damn funny!  

I must say, however, that despite being weird, and despite the discomforting side of being 'out of control', this thing called pseudobulbar effect is hands down my favorite symptom of all the symptoms associated with MS. For one thing, it is not painful (except for maybe some sore ribs). Moreover, it seems to fill a certain purpose--the unguarded, irrepressible outlet of emotion. Laughter, in short, is pleasant. Even crying can be pleasant. They provide a release, a sort of draining valve that makes you feel, upon finally stopping, somehow satisfied or as if you have accomplished something, however ineffable that something may be.

Dognification, by the way (for the curious), is defined as follows: A dog or dogs having or showing a composed or serious manner worthy of respect; especially one standing/sitting/lying only a few feet from the dinner table that's too proud to beg, thus being "Dognified".

I will note that I have yet to meet a dognified dog. 

No comments: