Visits

Monday, January 1, 2018

A Beautiful Day in Our Neighborhood

I had the opportunity this morning to visit with my old friend and former next door neighbor, Vyt Karazija, along with his girlfriend, Tina. Vyt is originally from Lithuania, but spent most of his life in Australia, and the last nine years in Bali. It has been about a year, I guess, since he moved out of the house next door and to a district called Mudding, which is a considerable ways away from Renon. Vyt is just about the sharpest person, intellectually, that I know. We differ in opinion on many subjects--politics, religion, you name it--but we have always been able to debate with politeness and good humor. Moreover, opposing viewpoints color his kindness to me in no way whatsoever. While Vyt energetically denies being a Christian, or believing in any God whatsoever, he is, at the same time, one of the most Christian people, in basic practice, that I've ever known. He is always willing to help, always willing to extend the hand of friendship, always ready to offer a sympathetic ear. I reckon that there are more than a few 'professing Christians' who could learn a few things from Vyt. Ironically, Vyt has just entered a new relationship, after long being alone, while I am newly alone, after long being married. So we find ourselves at opposite poles of experience once again. 

No comments: